nafex - RE: [nafex] honeylocust pods

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: RE: [nafex] honeylocust pods
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 19:14:36 -0600

>===== Original Message From nafex@egroups.com =====
> Feels kind of weird to disagree with Arnoldia, but I planted
>seeds of thornless honeylocust which we think was the thornless Schofer
>variety from a guy in Michigan. They came up about 75% thornless (out of
>maybe 25 trees). Notice the same thing with seedlings of Milwood and
>Calhoun. Thorny honeylocust are probably 500 ft. from the orchard of
>honeylocusts so we are presuming that most of these are pollinating one
>another. Hector Black

I didn't have any percentages from personal experience, but I suspect that
you'd have some 'thorny' seedlings, even if both parents were thornless,
though the native thorny types may be contributing to a larger percentage of
them.
I'll differ on the point of thorniness being a juvenile trait for Gleditsia -
I know plenty of 40-50 yr old trees, and they get thornier every year - and
the thorns get bigger and more vicious.
In the case of Gleditsia, I'm certain that there's a genetic determinant for
thorniness; I don't know if it's one or more genes, or which is dominant,
thorny or thornless.

Lucky Pittman
KY zone 6