nafex - Re: [nafex] More Musings on Coldest Nov-Dec on Record

  • From: rick valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] More Musings on Coldest Nov-Dec on Record
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 01 11:15:19 -0700

>> My points are that the native trees were solid indicators to the coming
>> weather—normal or abnormal. Introduced species, including fruit bushes
and
>> trees, are not. What do you think? And, what did you observe?
>> Doreen Howard
>> Janesville, WI, Zone 4b, still with a couple feet of snow on the ground

It is interesting to me that different clones of the native Ribes sanquineum
(flowering currant) from different locations in its range, bloom at different
times when planted in Portland, OR (it is a very early bloomer- seems to
coincide with the return of hummingbirds)
-Rick

Rick Valley Northern Groves
PO Box 1236, Philomath, OR 97370
Mobile-(541)602-1315, hm.& msg. (541)456-4364 Bamboo catalog $3 or at
<http://www.teleport.com/~dbrooks/bamboo.html>
"Useful Bamboos and other plants‹ Permaculture education‹ Ecological design &
consultation centering on water,landform and horticultural systems"