nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: honeylocust pods

  • From: rick valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: honeylocust pods
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 01 11:03:44 -0700

> The scientific opinion seems to be that honey locusts
>evolved to use deer and other large herbivores of the North American
>past to distribute their seeds.
There is a large honeylocust in the giraffe enclosure at the Portland
Zoo; the tree looks very much at home there. Deer? My wager is that it
was extinct elements of the N. Am. megafauna that co-evolved with
honeylocust. Those incredible spines! Like an African Acacia.
-Rick

  • Re: [nafex] Re: honeylocust pods, rick valley, 01/08/2001