nafex - Re: [nafex] St. Julian A and Apricot

  • From: jim <jmc1@epix.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] St. Julian A and Apricot
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 15:06:33 +0000

Chris, some apricots are incompatible on some plum stocks, while 'cots are compatible on 'cot.  Your book is correct on root color -- apricot roots are bright red.  But there's a heavy downside to using apricot rootstock -- extreme sensitivity to wet feet, Phytophthora, and heavy soils;  myro, marianna, and, to a considerable extent, Prunus domestica  such as St. Julien A avoid these difficulties.

The incompatibilities appear to be variety-specific, e.g. the Harrow apricots seem to be pretty solid on marianna GF 8-1, while NY 460 develops a big tree in the nursery that snaps off at the union in the digging process.  The breaks at graft unions results from very short, weak fibers, especially in the scion, rather than necrotic plates.

If I were planting on a good apricot soil -- light, with good internal drainage -- I would prefer to use apricot understock.  But on a problem soil, I would not hesitate to use one of the plums and would probably provide tree support.

//Jim
www.cumminsnursery.com

Christopher Mauchline wrote:

I have a book that states that (I'm paraphrasing here) "in purchasing
Apricot, it should not be on plum (or something else), it should only
be grafted on Apricot roots (and the book goes on to describe that
you can tell what root the apricot is on by scratching the root and
looking at the color)).

But the book doesn't say WHY plum is not recommended.

I have an apricot I've grafted onto St. Julian A.  It appears to be
doing very well.  What is the issue this book is trying to save me
from?

Thanks,

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6