nafex - Re: [nafex] HGG apple

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] HGG apple
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 07:43:19 -0800

HGG fruits are very uneven, the way you describe, for some growrs, though
I'm not sure why. As to flavor, it is a very unusual aromatic flavor unlike
almost any other apple I've tried, but the BEST? That would be a personal
opinion. I do like it, though.
----------
>From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
>To: <nafex@egroups.com>
>Subject: [nafex] HGG apple
>Date: Tue, Dec 26, 2000, 7:40 PM
>

>Lon,
>
>My Hudson's Golden Gem doesn't really crack .. it just seems to form
>crevices.
>i.e. I've never seen an actual (open) crack Have you seen an open crack?
>The surface of my mature HGG looks more like the snow profile after a storm
>snow has been sucked away on the windward side of a structure and piled up
>in the
>lee of that structure so you get these snow banks and gulleys. I've never
>seen
>an open wound on my HGG. Should I be looking at the apple in the very early
>stages?
>
>My HGG is about seven years old and almost all of the apples this year had
>those
>gulleys and ridges.
>
>I remember I said last year that I sure couldn't see what the Nafexers liked
>in
>HGG and all the Oregonians said .. Just you wait! It's the best apple
>around!!
>I am waiting!
>
>Derry
>
>Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
>Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
>phone/fax (604) 856-9316
>~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
>Home web page http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML
>~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
>
>: Here in Oregon where Hudson's Golden Gem originated, it does crack, but
>only
>: when the trees are young. After a few years the cracking stops. And yes,
>: when it is very ripe, it is soft and mellow like a pear, with a pear-like
>: flavor.
>: -Lon Rombough

Download Net2Phone's free software to make FREE calls anywhere within
the US from your PC now! Get great low rates on international calls!
http://click.egroups.com/1/10923/0/_/423498/_/977931570/

  • Re: [nafex] HGG apple, Lon J. Rombough, 12/27/2000