nafex - Re: [nafex] winterkill

  • From: "Robert L. Thomasson" <102073.3346@compuserve.com>
  • To: "INTERNET:nafex@egroups.com" <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] winterkill
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 16:06:58 -0500

Claude,

>> "Wiltpruf" reduces the amount of moisture that is transpired from the
stomata of a leaf.
This helps to reduce the dehydration of evergreen plants when the ground is
frozen and the plant roots are unable to take up moisture from the soil and
translocate the water to the leaves/needles.

I don't believe it will reduce a plant's tolerance to cold temperatures.>>

I have several internet friends who firmly believe that Wiltpruf does
indeed help a plant through cold weather, since cold and dry dehydrating
wind frequently coincide. In their opinion, many times winter damage is
attributed to cold, when it is really caused by dehydration. In any case,
based on their experience, the Wiltpruf stuff is effective, and many fig
varieties survive prolonged temperatures below 20 degrees F.

Bob

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/423498/_/977346462/