nafex - Re: [nafex] composting

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] composting
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 08:06:12 -0600

At 11:24 PM 12/19/2000 -0600, Donna wrote:
>Our city does a leaf pile every year, and loads them for people in the
>spring. They are always warm and smell like alcohol. I've never figured
>out what they are doing to get them to work.

Donna,
I don't do any composting, but I do 'troll' the neighborhoods around town
and haul home all the bagged leaves I can get my mitts on every fall, for
use in mulching the blueberries and other small fruits.
Seems like the maple leaves still have quite a bit of 'sugar' in them, and
they often seem to ferment, exuding an alcohol-like smell when you open one
of those bags, particularly if they were raked & bagged before becoming dry
& crumbly. I don't encounter that in the bags containing predominantly oak
leaves.

> It won't hurt to turn the pile, it probably won't hurt to leave it alone
>either. If you think it's too hot, you can always add water. I suppose
>your garden hose is not working at zero, but if you needed somewhere to dump
>some snow, it's wet too. If a pile gets too dry, which it can do if it
>stays hot for awhile, it will start to "firefang". that's a white mold that
>will eat the pile and turn it to air. A little firefang is common, but if
>the pile gets too dry, you can get a lot of it. You may want to do a little
>experimental poking around to check the moisture content or look for white
>mold. It's a lot of work to move a pile. We usually make 4-6 a year, a
>pickup load or more per pile. I move each pile once, using a pitchfork, and
>that's all the turning they get. I like to start my seeds a little early
>using a compost pile for heat. I turn it maybe early March, and make a
>hollow in the top, and put my flats of tomatoes and peppers in the hollow.
>I cover it with glass. If you try this be warned, it will cook your plants
>on a sunny day if you don't go prop the glass up a little.
>Donna TN z6

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY