nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: grapes

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: grapes
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:18:39 -0800

There are a number of grapes that have excellent disease resistance, but
would need testing for wine quality. The old Munson grape America is as
close to cast-iron as you can get, and very adaptable, but no one has used
it for wine in about a century. U. P. Hedrick said it made a very good
port, but I can't find anyone who might have followed up on that. A friend
of mine who is very knowledgeable about wine says Delicatessan does very
good in Oklahoma and produces a uniquely fruity wine. There are others, but
they need exploration.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, consulting, more, at
http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom

----------
>From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: [nafex] Re: grapes
>Date: Tue, Dec 19, 2000, 12:28 PM
>

>Mike,
> I've been growing grapes in "almost SE PA" (SW Berks county) for
>almost 15 years and have ~1 acre on my father's property that has
>been planted for ~10 years.
>
> I should preface my comments by the fact that personally, I am
>somewhat "burned-out" on grapes.
>
> If you consider copper/lime (Bordeaux) and sulfur
>sprays "organic" (I don't feel they are) the answer is "probably",
>knowing that in the worst years you will possibly lose a significant
>portion of your crop.
>
> Note there are 4 main diseases (fungal) of grapes: Black rot
>(BR), Powdery Mildew (PM), Downy Mildew (DM), and Boytritis (also
>known as bunch rot (and in certain climates as "noble rot").
>
>Anyways, there seems to be among the currently avaiable varieties a
>fairly direct relationship between quality and disease resistance.
>I.e. the best wine grapes (Vitis vinifera) are the most disease
>resistance. Lambrusca grapes are fairly disease resistance, but
>don't make good wine unless you like it very sweet. Hybrid grapes
>(hybrids of V. vinifera and other Vitis species (usually not V.
>lambrusca)) are usually more disease resistant that vinifera, but
>don't have quite the wine quality of vinifera. My personal belief is
>this could be overcome by further breeding work, but the wine
>industry and wine consumers are extremely conservative when it comes
>to new varieties, so it seems not much work is being done on new
>varieties.
>
>My short list of fairly disease resistant wine grapes:
>
>Marchel Foch
>J.S. 23-416
>Vidal blanc
>
>If you want to contact me, we can get together sometime. I could
>probably also arrange for you to see the vineyard at my parents. I
>currently have no grapes at my current location.
>
>Chris Mauchline
>SE PA, zone 6
>
>--- In nafex@egroups.com, "mike tomlinson" <tugger@n...> wrote:
>> I plan to put in a small vinyard next spring on a south facing
>slope
>> in zone 6 in SE PA. Temperature extremes go from minus 5 degrees or
>> so to 100 degrees with adequate rain fall and lots of humidity.
>Total
>> space may be 1/4 acre.
>>
>> I grow apples, keep an organic garden, make hard cider and now
>would
>> like to branch out into small scale wine making.
>>
>> What varieties should I consider? Can it be done organically? Any
>> suggestions and comments will be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Happy holidays to all.
>>
>> Mike

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/423498/_/977260367/

  • Re: [nafex] Re: grapes, Lon J. Rombough, 12/19/2000