nafex - Re: [nafex] Plum Testing

  • From: PermacultureNo1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Plum Testing
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:43:20 EST

In a message dated 12/18/00 6:47:54 PM, jbunker@palermo.org writes:

<< I'm planning to work on the plum presence on the Nafex web site this
winter and attempt to reinvigorate the plum testing group. Anyone with
thoughts on the subject is more that welcome to help out, make
suggestions, etc.

John Bunker >>

John:
Is this a Northern group, or are low-chill plums considered? I am
interested and getting scions of low-chill varieties to 1) test graft
compatibility on chickasaw plum, of which we have hundereds of stems
throughout the portion of our property not subject to flooding; and 2) test
which varieties that survive (1) suit our situation here which has a number
of stresses, and our proclivity, which is toward low-maintenace, zero-toxin
application, etc.

I used to think we had about 350-400 chill hours, but that was before the
two-year drought which still continues here. With our many-thousand acre
swamp completely evaporated, we are in a winer-cool site instead of a
winter-warm site (and also lose evaporative cooling in summer.) This means
that some of my low-chill peaches are already starting to bloom. So mayb e
I need a mix--some 300-400 hour varieties and some as high as 500 or even 600
hours, since our climate varies with the year so widely. (Where we were 10
degrees warmer than nearby cities during flood ed winters, we are 5-8 degrees
colder this winter. Interesting, eh. Since we are marginal for a log of
things we have planted here, that is a large difference.)

In any case, as I open up more and more scrub, I see more and more plum
stems everywhere. They do fruit, but even the chickens are slow to eat
them--that bad. But the trees (more nearly shrubs) are strong regardless of
extreems, and in just about pure sand. So we have an ideal rootstock already.

Dan

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/423498/_/977247816/