nafex - [nafex] Re: Granny Smith apple origin

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Granny Smith apple origin
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 08:41:27 -0000

Be warned that as well as being an old English apple
cultivar, "French Crab" is also a generic term for seedlings grown
from seed of French cider apples (from Normandy?) which were much
used, including in the commercial apple areas of North America, as
apple rootstocks before World War II.

Granny Smith is grown a little in Southern Ontario now, but I don't
the effort is worthwhile from the point of view of quality. Granny
Smiths from South Africa seem to be much the best.

I believe that at the time of Bramley's origin there were quite a
number of green apples known in England.

--- In nafex@egroups.com, "H. Dessureault" <inter.verbis@a...> wrote:
In Canada, Granny Smith is available in most supermarket throughout
the year but it does not grow in most part here as it requires a
warmer climate. The apples are usually shipped from New Zealand. I
still have not figured out this business of the French crab

> I happen to know that the Bramley is still is popular in England.
Maybe IT comes from the French Crab?

> H. Dessureault

Dial 800-555-TELL for FREE long-distance calls.
Tell your friends -- forward this message!
http://click.egroups.com/1/10795/0/_/423498/_/976869694/