nafex - Re: [nafex] banana

  • From: PermacultureNo1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] banana
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 08:44:59 EST

We had outstanding success by planting a banana over a downed calf. A dozen
or so cats would probably work well too. As Doreen mentioned, it is organic
matter that counts. I trim all yellow leaves and use them, plus expended
"trunks", as mulch, over which I sprinkle spent chicken litter. The bananas
are mostly by the chicken coop and the chickens scratch litter out the door
almost to the base of the plants. I keep a circular fence around the bananas
to minimize attackes on the pups (chickens eat almost any green leaf) and
contain the mulch deeper than the chickens would otherwise allow.

Dan Hemenway
Barking Frogs Permaculture Center
http://barkingfrogspc.tripod.com/frames.html
or
http://www.permaculture.net/~EPTA/Hemenway.htm

The protocol for our Annual Permaculture Design Course Online is at
http://barkingfrogspc.tripod.com/protocol.html

For a copy of Barking Frogs Permaculture Center's annual letter, just issued,
email us at BarkingFrogsPC@aol.com

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/0/_/423498/_/976801506/