nafex - Re: [nafex] banana

  • From: Claude Sweet <sweetent@home.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] banana
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:02:18 -0800

Joel,

I have several large clumps of edible bananas growing in my back yard.
In a rich soil supplied with copious amounts of water, the bananas
produce so many roots that driving a spade into the ground is
impossible, I have to drive a sharpen flat bladed shovel into the ground
and remove thin slices as opposed to trenching around a large corm.

In general I recommend composting all banana leaves to use a mulch
around the base of the banana clumps. In addition I would feed a
15/15/15 commercial fertilizer as they are very heavy feeders.

Bananas are primarily grown commercially for fruit in the tropics where
they have very shallow soils and lots of rainfall. I am not aware of any
such natural or manufactured biostimulants.

CLaude Sweet
San Diego, CA

Hortus wrote:

> ====================================
>
> BANANA
> -----------
>
> Does anyone have information on the enhancement of root mass
> banana (musacaea, musa) using
> auxins or biostimulants (proported snake oil users need not
> apply).
> I am especially interested in methods which have already
> been accepted by commercial growers.
>
> regards
> Joel
>
> eGroups Sponsor