nafex - Re: [nafex] Persimmon & PawPaw Nuts?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Persimmon & PawPaw Nuts?
  • Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 09:00:55 -0800

The NNGA has long worked with more than nut trees - they also work with some
of the most promising native American fruits, such as pawpaw and persimmon.
Astringent means just that - drawing your mouth up like alum. Eat an
unripe persimmon and you'll have a very graphic demonstration. It leaves
your mouth feeling dry and as thought you had a coating of fur on your
tongue.
----------
>From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: [nafex] Persimmon & PawPaw Nuts?
>Date: Sat, Dec 9, 2000, 8:47 AM
>

>Hello,
>
>This might seem like a strange question, but are persimmons
>and pawpaws in the nut family?
>
>The NORTHERN NUT GROWERS ASSOCIATION, INC. lists them among
>the nut trees they have information on.
>
>Lastly, what is meant by "astringent" when talking about
>fruit? I believe that alum is astringent, but I am not sure
>exactly how that relates to taste. It must be different
>from sour or tart, as they would use those more common
>terms.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Regards,
>Tom