nafex - [nafex] Persimmon & PawPaw Nuts?

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Persimmon & PawPaw Nuts?
  • Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 11:47:13 -0500

Hello,

This might seem like a strange question, but are persimmons
and pawpaws in the nut family?

The NORTHERN NUT GROWERS ASSOCIATION, INC. lists them among
the nut trees they have information on.

Lastly, what is meant by "astringent" when talking about
fruit? I believe that alum is astringent, but I am not sure
exactly how that relates to taste. It must be different
from sour or tart, as they would use those more common
terms.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Tom