nafex - [nafex] Re: Tender rootstocks in zone 3

  • From: edforest55@hotmail.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Tender rootstocks in zone 3
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 02:04:26 -0000

> malus prunifolia. What is anyones opinion about it and its use in
heavy
> soil?

I just read that the more fibrous a rootstock is the less tolerant of
wet conditions, suspected cause- O2 is depleted faster than that
stored in a more carrot- rooted stock such as antonovka which is said
to do better than most on wet sites.
Even better apparently is Borowinka, it too is not so fibrous, but
not as hardy as antonovka, almost though.
I don't recall if prunifolia is fibrous, I believe it is though.
Which doesn't mean it won't do well on your clay site, clay soil is
not necessarily synonymous with wet, many fruits and nuts do fine in
pure clay if well drained. I would plant in a mound though, this
seems to help.

i was taught to graft just below the soil line, for
> varietal regeneration , but is this advisable in heavy soil?

I've been told not to bury more than two new inches of trunk in one
year, otherwise you risk rot killing the tree. With a standard you
can go either way, graft above or below the soil. If the cultivar
roots you may get more vigorous growth and won't have a compatability
problem, but this shouldn't happen with prunifolia.

which ex, station is David Bredford in?

Minneapolis, but he keeps abreast of the results of MN's far northern
research station which is in . . . I don't recall the city, French
name I believe.
> thanks, minnesota del
> Kevin

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/423498/_/975895512/

  • [nafex] Re: Tender rootstocks in zone 3, edforest55, 12/03/2000