nafex - Re: [nafex] Pyrodwarf Rootstock

  • From: jim <jmc1@epix.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Pyrodwarf Rootstock
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 21:22:39 +0000

Here's a wet blanket on quince as pear rootstocks:  I've tested a good many quince clones, and every one, including EM Quince C, has proved quite susceptible to fire blight.  Of course, not all quince produce suckers, which would be the most likely infection court, but we do need to keep this potential in mind.  Whether the bacteria travel down internally in pear, as happens in apple, I don't know;  would guess yes.

 A second blanket, not even a damp one for zone 9, is that quinces are quite winter-tender.  There are some beautiful mature plantings in climatically favored locations, e.g. the Vineland peninsula of Ontario, but with rare exceptions this low temperature sensitivity has kept them out of other northern locations.

//Jim
www.cumminsnursery.com

Dr. Ethan Natelson wrote:

Dear Group,

     Fluffy makes a good point about quince.  I was very impressed with the
extensive Harry and David plantings in Medford, Oregon, which are entirely
on quince (BA 29C).  It always has been stated that fruiting occurs faster
on quince than on pyrus clones.  We probably have not tried quince enough in
the South.  In regard to Pyrodwarf, I have it both as a possible dwarfing
interstem and as the rootstock.  It has a much higher chill requirement than
many of the OH x F crosses such as OH x F 40, 51 and 333 and seems to
substantially delay leafing out of the low-chill grafted cultivars on young
trees.  I don't know if this will continue to be a problem as the trees
mature.  As an interstem, it is not as dwarfing as OH x F 513, which looks
much more promising.  Pyrodwarf also delays leafing out in the interstem
position, but this is not as striking.  It may yet be useful as an interstem
but I think it will probably not be useful as a rootstock in warmer areas
such as zone 9, where I am.

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/423498/_/973897788/

eGroups Sponsor