nafex - Re: Apple Book

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: "J. neighbors" <jneighbr@internetpro.net>
  • Subject: Re: Apple Book
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 18:09:28 -0400

Roxbury, Mass., is now a neighborhood of Boston, but used to be it's own
town. I don't know if there are Roxburys in other states. Perhaps
that's where the Roxbury Russet comes from. I think it grows well
locally.

I know that Jonathan does better in New Jersey than it does around here.

Thanks. I'll think a bit more about buying your book, but I may hold
out for "Old Northern Apples". :)

Ginda

"J. neighbors" wrote:

> Ginda,
>
> Many of the old Southern apples originated in the New York and New Jersey
> coastal areas and those would do well there. Also, some of the other old
> Southern apples that originated in the South would probably do well there..
> The Roxbury Russet is a popular old
> russetted apple here and does fairly well here, but probably does better
> further North. It is one of the oldest American apples that originated in
> the Mass.-NJ area 300 or 400 years ago. There are a number of these apples
> that originated there, but also were propagated by Southern Nurseries and
> became popular here. Thus they are considered old Southern apples because
> they were grown for a long period of time here.
>
> There will be a number of these varieties described in my book, which
> usually gives origin of the variety, a brief description of it, and ripening
> time here in Zone 7a.
>
> I hope I have answered your questions. If not let me know.
>
> Joyce Neighbors

  • Apple Book, Ginda Fisher, 10/22/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Apple Book, Ginda Fisher, 10/22/2000