nafex - Re: [nafex] Continued Arggggh! (More deer damage/apple trees)

  • From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Continued Arggggh! (More deer damage/apple trees)
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 09:06:24 -0700

Chris,

I did some bridge grafting once on an old peach tree with a huge wound about
three
feet above soil level.

I think it should be done in spring when sap is flowing using a dormant
'bridge'.

I'd repeat the bridge grafting in spring and make two or three 'bridges'.

Is it possible to use chicken wire around the trunks of the trees?

I do that to keep beavers away plus I use tree wrap to keep rabbits and voles
away. And now I've got my Reinette Simirenko surrounded by netting to keep
birds
away.

It's a constant battle to protect the trees, but I do have 8' deer fence
around
the main part of my orchard. That was the best investment I ever made!

Good luck,

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Home web page http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

: I saranwrapped all the severe damage and attempted 3 bridge grafts on
: the Razor Russet (I had such problems doing it that I don't think
: they'll take). I put my normal plastic wraps on my trees, which
: doesn't cover the whole trunk, but I'm hoping that the plastic will
: interfere with the "feel" that the buck is looking for.
:
: Chris Mauchline
: SE PA, zone 6

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/15/_/423498/_/972319211/

  • Re: [nafex] Continued Arggggh! (More deer damage/apple trees), dwalsh/wchase, 10/23/2000