nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple ID & Antique Pears

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple ID & Antique Pears
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 09:20:55 +0000

Hi Doreen,
I would like a pic of the Montgomery Ward please. It could be one of those
local
varieties. I don't know the dateline for 'antique' in apples. In my project I
am
using anything that made or could have made it into Beach. There are many
other
references that give approximate/exact dates of discovery/development. 1904-5
and earlier is close enough for me........then I'll deal with the 20th century
seperately...........vic

Doreen Howard wrote:

> I came across this apple when visiting an antique orchard in Waukesha, WI.
> Montgomery Ward 1936 is about 5 oz., oblate, yellowish-green with plenty of
> red striping and mottling. I believe there is a Macintosh parent, because
> it tastes similar. Does anyone have any info on it or even heard of it? If
> you like, I have a photo I can email you as a jpeg attachment.
>
> Second question, learned group of fruit explorers! Exactly what constitutes
> an antique fruit? What is the date criteria? With vegetables, it's any OP
> that was in existence before 1940 when hybrids become popular in commercial
> plantings. And, roses, it is any rose in existence before 1867 when the
> first hybrid tea La France appeared. So, what is the delineating date for
> an antique apple or pear?
>
> Doreen Howard
> Zone 4b, Wisconsin

eLerts