nafex - Re: [nafex] Seed Variation - Apples

  • From: jim <jmc1@epix.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Seed Variation - Apples
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 12:29:37 +0000

Apples and other pome fruits do not breed true -- period. Apples are
generally
heterozygous for perhaps 5000 to 10,000 gene pairs; this makes for almost
infinite variability. Just to toss numbers around -- if you made the cross
Empire x Northern Spy, for example, out of 10,000 seedlings you might
reasonably
hope to have a dozen candidates that could compete with Empire -- and you
could
feel confident of 100% susceptibility to scab, powdery mildew and fire blight!

Neither do the stone fruits breed true, but because of many generations of
inbreeding, the odds are a lot better that from a thousand Cresthaven pits,
you
would get a few that would be close to (but not identical to) Cresthaven.

Jim Cummins
Geneva

Tom Olenio wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> Quick question on the variation from parent in apple seedlings.
>
> I have learned from this list that stone fruit seedlings will be true to the
> parent 80-85% of the time, but apple seedlings are not true to their parent
> tree.
>
> I have never seen a number as to to variation rate of apple seedlings to
> their
> parent. Is it 100%?
>
> Have they ever measured the types of changes that occur, or is totally
> random?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Tom
> --
> Thomas Olenio
> Ontario, Canada
> Hardiness Zone 6a

Restaurants, Movies, Weather, Traffic & More!
Access Tellme from any phone. For more info visit:
http://click.egroups.com/1/9534/15/_/423498/_/971626837/