nafex - Re: [nafex] Using Water for Freeze Protection

  • From: "J. Rosano II" <GIANNI-2@prodigy.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Using Water for Freeze Protection
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 14:03:02 -0400

Hi Jim:

Southern New Hampshire/Massachusetts border 5 miles inland bordering Zone 6a.
Have a protected area where a dark barn draws uv's and the rectangle sits in
front of this in a very southern exposure. In Nov & Dec still gets almost 8
hrs of full sun. And with the way the seasons have been going in the last
five years, have been able to pick up 2 weeks in spring and 2 weeks in fall
extending the season a month or so.
Possibly because the bed on it's own is comprised of nothing but fluffy
aerated
compost/humus in unison with mycorrhizae inoculant, the depth of 30 inches
gives these plants a boost that is astounding. Have to top off the Tom plants
at 7 feet in June/July and of course there is no flower sets in Nov but the
fruits that are still on vine do get the chance to ripen when protected.

"Erdman, Jim" wrote:

> John said, in part:
> Last season, I was still getting strawberries, broccoli & toms until x-mas.
> If you can spare the expense you could devise this rather quickly with
> merely a perimeter around your target area of one course of block and then
> drive pvc into the corners and above use y-fittings to complete the frame.
> If you paint the blocks dark, they will attract heat and give off even
> more radiation at night.
> If you need further details, please e-mail me. Happy to help!
>
> ++++++++++++++
> John,
> Where are you located? I assume south of us here in Wisconsin, as we would
> be
> adding some heat in our attached green house to ripen tomatoes many years by
>
> Christmas.
>
> Jim Erdman (Menomonie, WI)

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
as low as 0.0% Intro or 9.99% Ongoing APR and no annual fee!
Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9331/15/_/423498/_/970768962/