nafex - Re: [nafex] Using Water for Freeze Protection

  • From: "J. Rosano II" <GIANNI-2@prodigy.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Using Water for Freeze Protection
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 12:29:10 -0400

Hi Doreen:

I have an area set aside where I have built a concrete blocked 3 tier
garden. The fill depth is over 30" and on the corners where the block
holes are facing up, I have pvc pipe running up to 6.5 ft. Then above there
is a rectangle out of pvc and I just throw a combination of clear 4 mil
plastic and tarps over strawberries, tomatoes & broccoli. Where the frame
holds the heat and high enough off the tomatoes. At night I cover
the area with both tarps and plastic and during the day I pull the tarp
halfway back and leave the plastic if the days are in the 40's.
Last season, I was still getting strawberries, broccoli & toms until x-mas.
If you can spare the expense you could devise this rather quickly with
merely a perimeter around your target area of one course of block and then
drive pvc into the corners and above use y-fittings to complete the frame.
If you paint the blocks dark, they will attract heat and give off even
more radiation at night.
If you need further details, please e-mail me. Happy to help!

Best wishes,
John