nafex - [nafex] Apple Rcommendations

  • From: edforest55@hotmail.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Apple Rcommendations
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 16:19:33 -0000

Sorry group for my lack of subject headings lately, trying to get
used to posting from the archives rather than my inbox.
Anyway,
Ed said that Honeycrisp was great for those who equate flavor with
its wonderful texture.
I won't take that as a cut Ed but rather a comment that we all have
our different tastes. Which brings me to the subject once again of
terms used to describe quality in foods.
About a year ago I tried to get us going on a discussion about these
terms but the spark that I tried to light didn't ignite. I've
realized that there are differing reasons for sparks fizzling out in
discussion groups
out depending on the topic, sometimes its because no one knows, or
its too complex to put down in a few words, or because it was
recently hashed over, or because no one cares, or because it takes to
long to write down etc.. I think that in
the case of "terms descibing fruit quality", the reason we haven't
really
gone over it is because it is complex. This I learned while reading a
wine book and the terms describing wine which are often used to
describe apples: flavor, aroma, mouth feel, taste. I really think
that we should clarify these terms at some point in our NAFEX lives,
otherwise, I really don't know what a person means when they use
them, I wonder: are they using them as we do in everyday language or
are they using them more precisely like a wine taster would. I must
say that it
is really frustrating to read books describing apples which seem to
toss these terms all over the place with no real clear indication of
what the terms mean, no preface or glossary. I would think that this
would be the first thing an author should do when writing on the
subject.
I will take it upon myself to try to understand these terms from the
books I can find here in Madison, and post my summary IF the rest of
you agree that it would be useful.
Kevin
PS I would agree that Sweet Sixteen should be on any list. I have
noticed that Ed F seems to rate the suttle "aromas" that some apples
have as more significant than I do. I do disagree that Honeycrisp has
only texture going for it, I suspect it is that Mouth feel thing that
I don't really understand but I believe involves texture and flavor
and maybe other things. You see, whats the use in going on unless
we're on common ground with these terms?

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no annual fee!
Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9332/15/_/423498/_/970157984/

  • [nafex] Apple Rcommendations, edforest55, 09/28/2000