nafex - [nafex] Figs: Brown Turkey vs Celeste

  • From: vbgarden@aol.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Figs: Brown Turkey vs Celeste
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 13:15:21 -0000

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/9146/15/_/423498/_/968764530/

Hi, NAFEXers!

I'm looking for opinions on identifying characteristics of Brown
Turkey and Celeste fig trees. We've received stock at the nursery
that we are convinced has been mislabelled.

I've got the info from AJB's talk at the Charlottesville conference,
but am looking for additional ID suggestions from anyone who is
growing both varieties.

Depending on the location of the original wholesale nursery, we've
got stock that came in (unexpectedly) labeled as Eastern Brown
Turkey, Texas Brown Turkey, Vern's Brown Turkey, Celeste, Blue
Celeste, Hardy Celeste.... you know the drill. Obviously we expect
that all of the BT are just that, and all of the CEL are just that --
we're not too breaking out special divisions at this point {although
I am very interested in folks' opinions on these regionalized sub-
varieties or cultivars).

My problem is that I'm convinced, looking at fruit and
characteristics (this is a huge quantity of very young stock), that
we've been sent Celeste as Brown Turkey and vice-versa. I don't want
to use any of this for propagation or sales until I've got them
straightened out...that is how these mistakes get continued in the
industry.

I'm up for any determinations, insights, intuitions you've got. Any
ideas will be MUCH appreciated!

Frustratedly,

Sybil Mays
Paradise Nursery, Virginia Beach VA