nafex - Re: [nafex] rampant grape vines

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] rampant grape vines
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 13:58:07 -0700

First, do NOT cut the vines back now. That will just stimulate new
vegetative growth that may not harden well. I don't know who has been
telling people to cut shoots back to just above the clusters, but unless
they have very unusual conditions, that's a great way to set yourself up for
disaster.
If you have such rampant growth, it suggests the vines have been getting
watered too late into the summer. I don't even water at all, and I still
have vines growing some now, with the cool summer. For most grapes, lots of
growth will NOT slow ripening. The vine can use the sugars produced by all
that growth. Girdling will speed ripening some, but unless you are
expecting an early frost, it's a lot of work.
The only thing you might do is pick a few leaves off around the clusters
to expose them to more light, which will speed up their coloring a bit.
Really, lots of growth is NOT a bad thing as long as the vines are
healthy and there is no indication they have gotten too much nitrogen or
water. If anything, it tells you the vine could carry more crop next year
and you can leave more fruit buds this winter when you prune.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, more, at http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom

http://click.egroups.com/1/7010/0/_/423498/_/967409852/