nafex - Re: [nafex] blueberries from seed?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] blueberries from seed?
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 07:42:30 -0700

Clean the seed by blending the berries in a blender and add more water to
float off the debris. Spread the seed on paper to dry. The seed can be
sown with no stratification. Prepare a flat or pot and firm the soil down.
Put on thin layer of peat, moisten and tamp it smooth. Sprinkle the seed
over it and "dust" it with more peat, and mist the peat. Cover the flat/pot
with glass or plastic to hold humidity and keep it around 70 F. The
seedlings are so tiny when they come up you won't see anything but a
greening of the surface of the soil, as though there was algae on it. Look
with a magnifying glass to see the little seed leaves. Water with something
gentle, use dilute liquid fish. When the seedlings have their second to
third true leaves you can begin carefully pricking them out with toothpick
and pot them up individually. If you can, use a little soil from an
established plant in the mix to insure that the seedlings get the
mycorrhizal fungi that associates with the roots - the little plants need
it.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, more, at http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom

----------
>From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: [nafex] blueberries from seed?
>Date: Mon, Aug 21, 2000, 2:44 AM
>

>Does anyone have any info or experience on growing blueberries from
>seed? This year has been outstanding here in northern NH for our native
>lowbush varieties and I have a lot to choose from. The berry color
>ranges from bright light blue through steel gray and dusky black. It is
>really not practical to label little shrubs that can be anywhere from 6"
>to 30"+, depending on the soil and site and return later for cuttings.
>It seems the thing to do is use seed from the largest berries, which
>were pretty consistently together, not just one large king berry in a
>cluster of smaller ones. If I grow seed from the largest berries, fruit
>the shrubs under control, it will be more practical to then select for
>flavor from the ones that have size. I welcome any advice or

http://click.egroups.com/1/7011/0/_/423498/_/966869341/

  • [nafex] blueberries from seed?, victoria l. caron, 08/21/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: [nafex] blueberries from seed?, Lon J. Rombough, 08/21/2000