nafex - [nafex] blueberries from seed?

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] blueberries from seed?
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:44:37 +0000

Does anyone have any info or experience on growing blueberries from
seed? This year has been outstanding here in northern NH for our native
lowbush varieties and I have a lot to choose from. The berry color
ranges from bright light blue through steel gray and dusky black. It is
really not practical to label little shrubs that can be anywhere from 6"
to 30"+, depending on the soil and site and return later for cuttings.
It seems the thing to do is use seed from the largest berries, which
were pretty consistently together, not just one large king berry in a
cluster of smaller ones. If I grow seed from the largest berries, fruit
the shrubs under control, it will be more practical to then select for
flavor from the ones that have size. I welcome any advice or