nafex - Re: RE: [nafex] quince, pluot

  • From: "Margie Luffman" <luffmanm@EM.AGR.CA>
  • To: rbell@afrs.ars.usda.gov, nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: RE: [nafex] quince, pluot
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 13:36:29 -0400

Hello Richard and Derry. The Centre for Plant Health (CPH) at Saanichton
drastically reduced the size of its holdings about 3 years ago. For a brief
time the collection was maintained by a private nursery but last year it
reverted back to the CPH. They maintain a couple quince indicators but that
is all.

A major problem is that many nurseries in most parts of eastern Canada cannot
ship tree fruit budwood or fruit trees to British Columbia because of
oriental fruit moth. When the Genebank was located in Trenton Ontario this
was not a problem as that pest was not found there. However, I did have to
get a Domestic Movement Certificate to ship any tree fruit germplasm to BC.
Now the only way I can do this is to have dormant wood fumigated prior to
shipping. This is hardly convenient or a simple manner.

In the past I have dealt with Inner Coast Nursery in Cortes Island, British
Columbia. The have quince so perhaps that is your best route.

Website is: http://oberon.ark.com/~innersea/

E-mail: INNERSEA@OBERON.ARK.COM

Good luck.

Margie

Missing old school friends? Find them here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/8015/0/_/423498/_/966361075/