nafex - [nafex] Cherry Harvest

  • From: Terence L Bradshaw <madshaw@quest-net.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Cherry Harvest
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:10:08 -0400

NAFEX'ers:
We have four Montmorency sour cherry trees at the research farm where I
work which I would like to utilize in winemaking. My question regards the
harvest of their fruit. The cherries are bright red in color now, quite
soft, and particluarly sweet (for a sour cherry). The birds, however,
haven't touched them, and this was my original indicator for peak
ripeness. Furthermore, the stems do not easily separate from the
tree. Are these fruit too early to harvest? What indicators should I use
to determine the picking date??
Thanks in advance,
Terry B

Terence Bradshaw Pomona Tree Fruit Service
93 Stowe St PO Box 258, Chelsea, VT 05038
Waterbury, VT 05676 madshaw@quest-net.com
(802)244-0953
The views represented by me are mine and mine only................

Make your old place like new ...Win A Handyman!
http://click.egroups.com/1/6290/0/_/423498/_/963425250/

  • [nafex] Cherry Harvest, Terence L Bradshaw, 07/12/2000