nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: September Ruby

  • From: Nikolai <Nikolai@v-wave.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: September Ruby
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:34:59 -0600 (MDT)

September Ruby is an ultra hardy apple, full sized, ripe here early/mid
September, stores about 20 weeks, and is best in the making of juice. No
amount of cold can kill it, it seems, and it is growing and producing well
for NAFEX member Clair Lammers in Fairbanks, Alaska. You can view a picture
of it growing in Alaska at http://www.alaska.net/~lammers/page3.html

It also grows well and produces in northern Saskatchewan, where temperatures
get colder than -50F at times. Here in central Alberta, in the banana belt,
we never get colder than about -45F, and that's in a "test" winter once a
decade. I have never even seen slight tip dieback at my orchard. It tries
valiantly to grow 5 apples from each flower cluster, and if you don't thin
it, you will get millions of "crabs" instead of 3 inch plus red apples.

While very good for pies, and okay for fresh eating, September Ruby makes
the best juice around. I don't mix anything with it, as 100% September Ruby
juice seems perfectly balanced, sweet/tart, all by itself. Mind you this is
non-fermented juice which I just press and freeze in 2 or 4 liter milk jugs
until needed. I haven't tried making fermented cider, but will, I think,
this year. I have all the fermentation equipment, and my wife makes a mean
chokecherry wine each year, so I'll have to give it a try. I don't see why
it won't do well in zone 5 as long as it is well thinned. Certainly no
amount of cold in zone 5, even if the ice age returns, will kill it.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta

At 07:38 PM 7/10/00 -0700, you wrote:

>> I have no information on "September Red", but there is a prairie apple
>> called "September Ruby" : Rescue x Haralson, introduced in 1986, from
>> Alberta. Very hardy. I haven't tried it yet.
>>

>Yes. I meant to write September Ruby. My lysdexia is gnitca pu.

>Make new friends, find the old at Classmates.com:

Win A Handyman ...and make him fix up your place!
http://click.egroups.com/1/6288/0/_/423498/_/963290101/

  • Re: [nafex] Re: September Ruby, Nikolai, 07/11/2000