nafex - Re: [nafex] Weed fabric

  • From: LONGDISTSHTR <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Weed fabric
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 09:25:06 -0400

Ed & Pat Fackler wrote:

> The Fluffster has written
>

> > One other thing I have considered is planting some type of clover. I
> > wonder if regular weeds would find themselves out hustled by the clover.
> > I have seen large clumps of it, and it is very attractive and not very
> > tall so it seems like it might make a good living mulch. Any thoughts on
> > the use of clover, and recommended varieties by anyone.
>
> My response----------
>
> One adverse aspect of using any type of legume for an orchard ground
> cover is its attraction of near all species of stink bugs. And this
> population can become rapidly high and destructive to fruit crops. Adult
> stinkbugs are also very difficult to control because of their very hard
> outer
> shell or body.
> Just an observation.
>
> I hope everyone is having a great fruit year--------here we had near a
> total wipeout due to a severe freeze during bloom.
>
> Ed, So. Ind.

> Win a Guy and up to $20,000 in repairs to boot!
Lon, Nut Grass will grow right through any fabric I've tried in this
locale. You brought up a sore subject for me. I've tried the cardboard
trick and agree that it is labor intensive unless you have the time and
limit your crops which you are unable to do. The clovers which I've
tried (Crimson, Burr, Alsic, Red, New Zealand) are beautiful in the
Spring but fink out in mid-summer or before, here. Compost, heavy
mulching seems to be the only solution. The stink bugs are more numerous
this year, caused some ugly tomatoes this season. I haven't had a
bragging tomato this year. Seems like there are new varieties of stink
bugs coming around, green, brown and multi-colored. Nightshade, the kind
with stickers and striped balls will grow in the thick mulch and require
hand extraction. As has been mentioned in Pomona, grass around apples is
detrimental but I just can't seem to control it. This ain't apple
country anyway like Virginny is, but got enough to try my cider machine,
thanks Don, works fine. Liked the comment on Red Clover, Joyce. Thanks
for Dr. Duke's site Jheck!One (all?)of the clovers causes cattle to
hemorrhage, eh, Lucky? Coumadin? Doc Lisenby Zone 7/8

Win $5000! Click Here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/5941/0/_/423498/_/962717166/