nafex - Re: [nafex] Orchard Mix

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Orchard Mix
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 21:38:51 +0000

Gordon,
I don't know about a leguminous mix, but up here in northern NH, there have
been some seedings of a type of Russian fescue that needs very little mowing,
maybe once or twice a year. This may differ in your area. We found out about
this fescue through our USDA Cooperative Extension Educator (aka the local
ag-agent). I have not had the opportunity to try it on my property but it
seems
to work well where it is planted so far.
Good luck.......Vic

Gord Hawkes wrote:

> Greetings all from the wet north. Wettest spring/early summer on record
> for eastern Ontario. Looks like scab will be a reality in the orchard this
> year. Looking for answers/suggestions for a couple questions. I want to
> plant an orchard mix ground cover in our newly planted orchard focusing on
> leguminous varieties - any suggestions regarding type of mix and where in
> Ontario one can obtain such mixes?
>
> Next question, our orchard is organic and sulphur has not done the trick as
> a protectant partly due to poor timing on my part but mostly as a result of
> the extreme wet conditions. Any suggestions on how to minimize secondary
> scab infection apart from continued use of sulphur?
>
> Hoping early summer is drier elsewhere,
>
> best regards,
>
> Gord Hawkes
> Log Cabin Orchard
> Osgoode, ON
> K0A 2W0

> AUTO & HOME INSURANCE -- LOWEST RATES & BEST COVERAGE. Get dozens of the
> best agents competing for your business with our new FREE service.

Win a trip to Vegas for you and 20 friends, $15,000 and a suite at
Bellagio for New Year's, courtesy of Expedia.com. Or win 2 roundtrip
tickets anywhere in the U.S. given away daily. Click for a chance to win.
http://click.egroups.com/1/5293/0/_/423498/_/961166549/

  • [nafex] Orchard Mix, Gord Hawkes, 06/15/2000
    • Re: [nafex] Orchard Mix, victoria l. caron, 06/16/2000