nafex - Re: [nafex] Dwarfing Trees

  • From: Ed & Pat Fackler <rocmdw@aye.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Dwarfing Trees
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:27:38 -0400

Thomas Olenio wrote:

> I have read that trees can be dwarfed by techniques of manipulating the
> tree.
>
> My question is whether or not a tree will overcome the dwarfing and return
> to normal growth if the techniques are stopped.

My response------

Yes, trees can be manipulated to some extent to decrease size. These
techniques include limb bending, scoring and root pruning (bonsai).
However, if not done on an annual basis in some fashion, especially
during the so-called juvenile years (2-7), the tree will revert to near its
so-called "standard" genetic size.

Hope this helps.

Ed, So. Indiana

Take 20 friends to Vegas on New Year's courtesy of Expedia.com.
Win the airfare, a suite at Bellagio and $15,000. Or win 2 roundtrip
tickets anywhere in the U.S. given away daily. Click for a chance to win.
http://click.egroups.com/1/5294/0/_/423498/_/960625372/