nafex - [nafex] FW: NITROGEN FIXING TOMATOES?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX List <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Cc: Permacltur@aol.com
  • Subject: [nafex] FW: NITROGEN FIXING TOMATOES?
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 06:08:04 -0700

Forwarded from Dan Hemenway.
----------
From: MOUNIR IZALLALEN <aah313@agora.ulaval.ca>
To: Permacltur@aol.com
Subject: Re: NITROGEN FIXING TOMATOES?
Date: Mon, May 29, 2000, 10:53 AM

> I would be interested in the articles. This is the first confirming report
> I've gotten, so it is especially useful. May I forward your comments to be
> posted on the list?
>
> Dan Hemenway
> Barking Frogs Permaculture Center
> Sparr FL SA

Hi,

feel free to forward our discussion to your list. The article I talked to
you about are:

- growing strains of Rhizobia and bradyrhizobia in the rhizosphere of
non-legumes:
Pena-cabriales and Alexander (1983) growth of Rhizobium in
unamended soil. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 47, 81-84

- Survival of rhizobium under field condition, with corn and wheat.

Wiehe and Höflich (1995) Survival of plant growth promoting
rhizosphere bacteria in the rhizosphere of different crops and migration
of to non-inoculated plants under field conditions in north-east
germany. Microbiol. Res. 150, 201-206

- Occurence of rhizobia in the inner root tissues.

Schloter et al. (1997) Root colonization of different plnats by
plant-growth-promoting Rhizobium leguminosarum bv. trifolii R39 studied
with monospecific polyclonal antisera. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 63,
2038-2046.

- B. japonicum as an endophyte in swet corn and cotton

McInroy and kloepper (1995) Survey of indigenous endophytes from
cotton and sweet corn. Plant Soil 173, 337-342.

- Root hair curling induction in maize, rice and oat plants

Plazinsky et al. (1985) Expression of Rhizobium trifolii early
nodulation genes on Maize and rice plants. J. bacteriol. 163, 812-815.

Terouchi and Syono (1990) Rhizobium attachment and curling in
asparagus, rice and oat plants. Plant cell Physiol. 31, 119-127.

- Nod factor perception by tomato.

staehlin et al. (1994) Perception of Rhizobium nodulation factors
by tomato cells and inactivation by root
chitinases. Proc. natl. Acad. Sci. USA 91, 2196-2200

- Nitrogen fixing nodules with non-legumes.

Trinick (1973) Symbiosis between Rhizobium and the non-legume,
Trema aspera. Nature (Lond.) 244, 459-460.

Regards,

Mounir

Mounir Izallalen
Université Laval
Recherche en Sciences de la vie et de la Santé
Pavillon C. E. Marchand
Ste-Foy, G1K 7P4
Québec.
Canada
Tel. (418) 656-2131 ext# 6785
Fax. (418) 656-7176

Hot off the press- summer's here!
School's out and it's sizzling hot. Whether you're planning a
graduation party, a summer brunch, or simple birthday party,
shop GreatEntertaining.com before your next celebration.
http://click.egroups.com/1/4473/0/_/423498/_/959778361/