nafex - [nafex] Re: grafting trials

  • From: "Dan & Marilyn Mason" <dmason@rainyriver.lakeheadu.ca>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: grafting trials
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 22:44:14 -0500

May 28, Vann said:

"It has to be quite a shock to the rootstock to be uprooted, put
in storage, shipped, the top cut off, scionwood taped on and
stuck back in the ground."
----------------------

I could never get consistent results from bench grafting my own
seedling rootstocks, but noticed that almost every one of my
grafts to established, undisturbed, trees would take. Now, I just
graft my seedling rootstocks where they were grown in the garden.

This saves digging and replanting the trees, and the grafts take
right off. The only disadvantage is grafting on my knees in the
garden, but this isn't a total disadvantage. The rootstock tree
doesn't have to be held most of the time which frees up another
hand. I'm not doing large numbers of trees this way.

Dan Mason zone 3, NW Ontario
dmason@rainyriver.lakeheadu.ca

Remember the good 'ol days
http://click.egroups.com/1/4053/0/_/423498/_/959572297/