nafex - Re: [nafex] Nanking pollinating Jap/Am plums?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Nanking pollinating Jap/Am plums?
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 20:45:24 -0700

I wonder if the confusion over this came about because of the bush cherries
developed by the late Professor Meader. Jan, Joy, and Joel are from a cross
of Prunus japonica x P. jacquemontii and they look and taste just like pie
cherries, but they are plums, botanically. They are graft compatible on
plum and WILL pollinate Japanese and American type plums that bloom at the
same time.
Nanking cherry, (P. tomentosa) can cross with some plums, but not well
enough to be a pollinator - it would be a rare occurance.
-Lon Rombough
----------
>From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
>To: nafex@egroups.com
>Subject: Re: [nafex] Nanking pollinating Jap/Am plums?
>Date: Wed, May 24, 2000, 8:11 PM
>

>A 22:17 00.05.23 -0500, vous avez écrit :
>>Kevin wrote:
>>
>>someone in another group says that nanking cherry will pollinate
>>plums. Is this true?
>>

>I have also read that it could cross pollinate with early flowering plums
>in the catalog of Sprout Farm, a nursery in Western Canada. I have not
>controlled this statement however.
>Claude Jolicoeur, Quebec.

>Best friends, most artistic, class clown Find 'em here:

Missing old school friends? Find them here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/4055/0/_/423498/_/959226225/