msar-riders - [MSAR] Airscent training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Airscent training
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:21:09 -0600

Off list, I have had a question about how to learn airscent training.

My best answer is to connect with any SAR canine teams in your area,
and start training with them. To start, leave the horse at home and
be a search subject for the dogs. I guarantee you will learn a lot.

One thing I have learned from the dog teams is to attend carefully
to each animal's individual preference in reward. Some dogs have
a very high prey drive; they love toys. Some are people oriented
really enjoy petting and praise and play with the training search
subject or their handler. Some are motivated most by food treats
or by being given a rest. Terry Nowaki has said horses are best
motivated by being given food or a rest, eg the rider dismounting,
but I don't find this to be true in all cases. Some horses really
enjoy the hunt.

If you train with a horse and a search subject who has food treats,
be sure your subject is someone who will not permit pushy behavior
by the horse.