msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Side Saddle Questions

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Jyaniro@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Side Saddle Questions
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 01:11:03 -0400 (EDT)

Ask these people....I'm sure you will get the all the information you may need from them.

Jane

In a message dated 5/24/2013 5:05:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ilichten1@verizon.net writes:

There should be no difference for a rider who prefers sidesaddle either because of training and culture or because of injury (to the hips or pelvis would be first thought) precluding the astride position.  Females have ridden side saddle for centuries and have ridden to hunt and stadium jump. I have met several ladies who consider it undignified  to ride astride as they took 4-5 foot fences.

The basic question is whether they can stay mounted, dismount and remount in the field.  Ill fitting tack ruins everybody’s day.

Irv Lichtenstein

pennbo@verizon.net wrote:

Interesting. Can someone help explain what type of injury would make riding astride uncomfortable but would still allow side-saddle riding and the amount of hiking, climbing, lifting, etc we are sometimes called upon to do? I'm not being critical nor am I being facetious. Print is hard. I am truly curious as every year when we update our standards and requirements I like to have a broad mind that will include many possibilities. However if I submit an idea without the necessary facts to back it up it's an exercise in futility!

Thanks,
Chris