msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Trailer one brake locking up

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Trailer one brake locking up
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 23:22:01 -0700 (PDT)

I have had this happen and once it needed an adjustment easily done at the trailer service center that installed my electronic brakes.  The next time, I learned my wiring harness had been pulled loose by a possum I accidentally hit or rolled underneath my trailer one night as it sits pretty low.  It is amazing how much damage it did and they showed me the loose wire they spliced and re-secured to the cross members of the underside of our trailer.  Fortunately, neither was very expensive.

If your trailer floor is low as many step ups are, it would not be hard to drive over brush/debris in the field and loosen/damage wiring or get something caught as you suspected.  Hope this helps and let us know what you learn.  Dana Snyder, OPMSAR and Shawnee County Sheriff's Posse