msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Lake Conroe search

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Lake Conroe search
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 12:55:25 -0500

Social media as it is called today is the bane of every PIO
and IC, Ops and Planning section chief. This person had not even been
demobbed before he was on the phone. What if he wasn't demobbed right away?
Another phone call to say he wouldn't be coming home right away?
We can't control everything but we must train our people in the proper
notification procedures and how to keep their mouths shut when necessary.
We have been on jobs where the "wrong" body was recovered and that is really
troublesome.

It is bad enough that the some press helicopter can take pictures of a
recovery from miles away and show the family the results of our efforts
without any softening of the blow.

By the way, do you release resources immediately or do you debrief and
fatigue check before letting them hit the road home? On a long mission and
facing a long drive home it is often better to hold the resource at camp for

a recovery period before releasing them.

Irv Lichtenstein
SE PA SAR