msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Lake Conroe search

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Lake Conroe search
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 10:33:10 -0700

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 10:41:01AM -0600, Joseph C. Huston wrote:
> a member of another
>team contacted their home office to let them know he had been found. It was
>immediately put on their web site.

This is one of the common ways that information gets leaked, often by
accident. When we are demobilized, it is routine for us to call home
or work to let others know we will return to our regular activities
soon, but often this lets out sensitive information (ie, we are being
demobilized because there has been a find and the mission is more or
less over).

On many missions the need for management staff is underestimated and
consequently there are not enough people available to adequately brief
and debrief the field teams.