msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Hello, MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: <rick@westcoastframe.com>, "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Hello, MSAR
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:35:44 -0500

A desensitized horse is a dead horse. All our riding is in public areas
populated by ignorant dog walkers, bike riders who don't know what paved
means, and even off roaders in prohibited areas. Add in a few coyotes, a
migrating bear, and hunters/poachers and you can see why we don't advocate
desensing clinics.

At least two riders whose horses went to "police school" were thrown when
their horses were panicked by loose dogs, dogs who now had an easier target
on the ground.

If your horse is unrideable on the tail he is not a search horse. He will
never be trained to the point where you can trust him.

Irv Lichtenstein