msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Incident Mapping

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Incident Mapping
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 11:22:57 -0600

Bruce Murdock wrote:
>What would make you think we don't already coordinate with BLM, USFS, County
>and State agencies and even some of the private timber companies?

Bruce, I said what I would do, for the possible benefit of anyone
reading this on MSAR-Riders now and in future, not for you alone.

I understood you to say that for certain areas you are using topos
that are decades out of date. Getting up-to-date base maps made
(meaning, doing the field cartography and data entry) would be far
outside the scope of a SAR team, even if the team happens to have
on it a professional cartographer.

What are you looking for here? Low cost computer applications to
support the immediate requirements of SAR incident management, or
something else? One reason I like OCAD is that it has intuitive
support for overlaying vegetation types on a base map. Eg, if you
know a certain area of forest has been burned over or blown down
recently, you can rather easily add that to the map. That info is
important for SAR because the degree of "fight" provided by the
vegetation cover affects the probability of a subject being in an
area, and the amount of effort required to search an area. (Bruce,
I expect you know that, but I am sure that not everyone here knows
all you know.)