msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Insurance

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Insurance
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 08:03:18 -0600

boddyrs@comcast.net wrote:
>The quotes we have gotten were over $1500 for the year.

For liability plus medical insurance, that sounds very reasonable.

>This puts us in fund raising mode year round; how are others covering
>this cost?

Member dues? Some teams have a lot of affiliate members who don't do
much more than pay annual dues and can attend the annual potluck party
and buy the team T-shirt etc. Some teams get funding through United
Way or a grant giving foundation. Some teams find commercial sponsors.

Some hold pancake breakfasts and rodeo play days and parking details
at local malls etc. Those are relatively hard way of raising funds.