msar-riders - [MSAR] Retiring polo ponies

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Retiring polo ponies
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:47:55 -0600

My old mare, a wonderful MSAR horse, was a retired polo pony. Recently
I acquired a new old polo mare, also just retired from polo. This one is
a very elegant TB, very alert and a little wound up still from being a
competition horse, but also with tremendous poise. She has startled at
all sorts of startling sights and sounds, but her spooking consists of a
brief squat-and-look. She is totally calm in the face of many spooky
things. She has some age and use related physical limitations, but not
anything that will interfere with my job for her. We are off to a great
start and I think she is going to make a great horse for MSAR.

Finding good retirement homes for old polo ponies is a constant problem,
yet these horses have just the qualities wanted in an MSAR horse except
they may lack experience with "trail" riding. Similar to off-the-track
TBs and retired police horses, freshly retired polo ponies generally are
not suitable for novice riders. They are very responsive and in some
small but important ways are trained differently than a novice rider may
expect.

Here is a recent offer in southern California:

>I have four middle-aged horses available for lease, sale, or donation.
>Two of the horses are in excellent physical condition and still capable
>of playing medium-goal polo for a 1-goal player. They are in San Diego.
>The other two horses have some physical limitations. They are in Santa
>Barbara. Please call 858-212-9055 or e-mail surfERdoc@sbcglobal.net
>for further info.

  • [MSAR] Retiring polo ponies, Una Smith, 06/21/2010