msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Killer weather

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Irvin Lichtenstein " <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Killer weather
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:32:05 -0400

It is not only fire that you have to worry about.  We are having heat waves followed by cold snaps.  Three or more days of 90F/90% humidity plus and then it drops to 60F for a day or two.  Trying to keep the stock in proper condition for these kinds of changes is hard. The relatively high heat and humidity leads to thunderstorms and some flash flooding, often highly localized.  There is only one way out from the barn I board at—a one lane bike path through the park out to the township road . The trees are cut back around the barns and they are well separated but we might have to cut across crop land to get in or out or to get fire apparatus in.

The road situation appears to be common.  An area we have planned on as an evacuation point in the west end of the county is a large county park but the roads in and out are no wider than one lane each way with no shoulders.  Getting big rigs in and out of the parking areas for events calls for traffic cops to be there. Friends who live in the Rockies also have the canyon problem adding miles to travel routes.

And to top it off I am going through final sale inspection on my house—everything that was fine yesterday is broken today, regardless of whether it works or not.

A garage door that hasn’t been opened in years needs new springs, sidewalks that passed inspection last year need to be replaced.  It may not be worth selling at this point.

Irv Lichtenstein