msar-riders - [MSAR] Fire and flood and wind...C'mon over!

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Fire and flood and wind...C'mon over!
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 13:53:04 -0700 (PDT)

RESPONDING TO:

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 17:17:02 -0600
From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
Subject: [MSAR] Wildfire season
To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

It is wildfire season here in New Mexico and at present five wildfires
are burning that qualify as large fires for reporting purposes of the
National Interagency Fire Center.  Two of the five are within a few
miles of where I live, and upwind.  This year is the 10th anniversary
of the devastating Cerro Grande wildfire here, so the need to prepare
is very much on our minds.  County officials have been distributing
emergency plan packets, recommending preparations for both evacuation
and shelter in place.  I have been spending extra time removing manure
from the paddock (to keep both fuels and fly attractions to a minimum),
weeding and generally de-cluttering, and making sure that the water
tanks are clean and full.  The truck and trailer are ready to go at a
moment's notice.  My horse has a recent negative test for EIA and a
clean fecal.  In the event of a livestock evacuation, these reports
may be of some comfort to horse owners who provide refuge to evacuees.

----------------------->>> >
Una, YOU my friend are a woman after my own heart!  And neighbor, I hope you have places in mind you can go to and get to if need be.  Have a list of GOOD barn(S) and your routes handy for your plight and flight.  Traveling on a spur of the moment is not easy.

I love what you said and I qoute -  and I REALLLY love this!!

" I have been spending extra time removing manure
from the paddock (to keep both fuels and fly attractions to a minimum),
weeding and generally de-cluttering, and making sure that the water
tanks are clean and full."
-----------------
I commend you and people like you.  Its not just fire season,  here,  currently its fire, wind and flood season. We go in spurts here with the weather but let me repeat that qoute because it is a joy to hear!

" I have been spending extra time removing manure
from the paddock (to keep both fuels and fly attractions to a minimum),
weeding and generally de-cluttering, and making sure that the water
tanks are clean and full."

I only wish more horseowners would put your words into action!   It is incredible to me how so many horseman do not realize that their animals manure can be a fire hazard!  Its not just UNSANITARY!  Its a fire and a drainage hazard.  It will burn like crazy when dry and act like a sponge and get septic when wet and spawn the loathsome.  And like we all love living in or near a pest ridden septic cess pool.  Surely our animals DO NOT.

Truly your words are for all horsemen to LIVE by.  Sanitizing, deoderizing, LOWERING RISK, clear paths and WITH a continual source of CLEAN WATER.  Perhaps a word on HOW too woudl help some who dont know?

My friend, if the firebell rings there, or if you just want to pay us a visit, c'mon over,  for now the pastures here are green and the shelter is clean!   Just watchout for the toadtwisters, those will change the wind direction in a heartbeat.

Simplified Guest Rules of OUR barn...
Phone first for gate service,
  Upon arrival if not well before...,NO SMOKING
  If it barks or whinnies, leash it and hold it
  If it poops, ask where to go to dump it
  If it bites, whines, breaks upon entering and/or complains, rabies check will follow
  Anything else,  please ask!

Stay safe everyone!

        Karen Nesbitt - VMSAR  Iroquois County - Illinois

PREVENT FOREST FIRES!

If its plausible, its preventable

SURVIVE!

  • [MSAR] Fire and flood and wind...C'mon over!, Karen Nesbitt, 06/17/2010