msar-riders - [MSAR] Trouble for Texas Equusearch, others

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Trouble for Texas Equusearch, others
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 06:38:44 -0700

This is from Kimberly Kelly (kimberly at 1srg.org) on March 12, 2010.

Una Smith

--------------------------------- snip ---------------------------------

Good evening,

Last night, I received word from a member of our local county Sheriff's
Department canine unit that during the course of a massive local search,
a man named Stephen Watts, aka Steph (pronounced "Steff"), presented
himself to the Sheriff's Department and coordinating agencies as a
member of 1SRG: 1st Special Response Group, in an attempt to insinuate
himself into law enforcement search efforts. Shortly thereafter,
Mr. Watts then began blogging about his actions, including sensitive
search information.

1SRG has never had a member, either past or present, by this name or
any reasonable variation, nor have we ever received (and/or denied) an
application by such a person.

1SRG launched an investigation last night, and determined that
Mr. Stephen, aka Steph, Watts is a freelance "investigative" reporter
who frequently provides titillating and "newsworthy" information to
on-air broadcasts such as Nancy Grace, Greta Von Susteren, CourTV (now
HLN), and other entertainment providers.

We are sharing this information with you, as Mr. Watts appears to have
repeatedly joined with Texas Equusearch in their efforts, and has made
repeated attempts prior to his efforts here in San Diego to insinuate
himself into search missions. He lied stating that he was with 1SRG, a
known and reputable organization, in an effort to further his own
efforts. We understand that he has done so before, and fear that he may
do so again in the future.

>From information gleaned during our investigation, Mr. Watts arrived in
San Diego, along with Tim Miller and Texas Equusearch, in the search for
the McStay family. You can read the McStay relatives account of their
experience with Mr. Watts here: http://www.mcstayfamily.com/new/

While in San Diego with Texas Equusearch, Chelsea King disappeared -
and Mr. Watts used that opportunity of being here locally to insert
himself into a growing national news story.

After verifying our initial information with several agencies and
individuals, 1SRG then notified both San Diego County Sheriff's
Department and the California Emergency Management Agency (formerly
CAL-OES, now Cal-EMA, and now charged with all statewide SAR
this was an investigative effort that included federal agencies,
contacts within the FBI. Based on discussion last night, this issue has
been handled and considered resolved.

We also contacted Mr. Watts through his personal webpage, his Facebook
page, through a phone number he presents on his website, and through
email, in addition to our post here, last night, on the SAR-L lister.
Mr. Watts has not returned our contacts, calls, or written requests.

As of today, close of business, formal "cease and desist" letters were
sent to Mr. Watts, CourtTV/HLN, Nancy Grace, Greta Von Susteren, and
those agencies who employ Mr. Watts for their "news" services
instructing them that any attempt to use 1SRG's name, logo, reputation,
or other team affiliation would be met with legal action, and that 1SRG
would assist those responsible, reputable SAR teams who may find
themselves in a similarly-misappropriated position.

This information is being provided to you in the attempt to stop
Mr. Stephen "Steph" Watts from his efforts to breach law enforcement
and search mission security in his efforts to seek confidential or
legally protected information for his sensationalistic purposes, as
well as to protect both 1SRG, and your team, from those said same
efforts.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to correspond.

Respectfully,

Kimberly R. Kelly
1SRG: 1st Special Response Group
www.1SRG.org