msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Getting old

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: emboote@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Getting old
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:46:24 -0500

Thanks for your kind suggestion, Dana. We tried absolutely everything available to us over several years. One hock fused, but the other never did, so we retired him and now he's the pasture Nanny/Scout. He still gets some light duty, riding down to the mailbox in the morning and sometimes a paddock perimeter check, which he adores...must remind him of his Texas cattle ranching and rodeo days when he was young, before he came to me, but I wouldn't risk him getting into a situation now where he would torque his leg or push himself too far. He is pretty stoic so for him to worry about moving, says clearly to me that it's time to find other things to keep him entertained. He was just so darn intuitive when it comes to knowing what I need, and he pointed out things I missed, that he truly was a better working partner than I was. I guess that made him the better trainer, too.

Emily