msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] saddles

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: emboote@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] saddles
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 22:28:50 -0500

Oh, I hate getting into saddle debates because there are more opinions than horses and riders. I can only say what's worked for me and what I've seen with people I've ridden with. I have a custom made saddle that's served me for 10+ yrs. It's a strong, heavy, double skirted, saddle that weighs a bit over 40 lbs, so I get a good bit of exercise every time I lift it over  my head to place it slowly on my horse's back. I've ridden a couple hours every day for years and never had a problem with saddle sores on my horse. I've rotated saddle blankets but haven't relied on any special pads to 'make' the saddle fit. I've been all over the Rockies, Black Hills, and Midwest prairies and never had the saddle slip regardless of terrain or weather conditions. I do use a breastcollar and back cinch.

At a clinic there was a gaited horse trainer who said the treeless saddle will sore a horse if ridden by a person more than about 120 lbs for several hours over a couple consecutive days. The reason she said was because, being treeless, it didn't spread the weight of the rider and equipment evenly across the length of the saddle. I can only say what I heard. I have a a friend who rode in a Bob Marshall saddle in the Black Hills and it slipped going down a steep trail and she went right into the creek. Another time, same lady, same saddle, she fell off on a hillside when the saddle slipped to the side. She said she wasn't using the special saddle blanket she needs that goes with it. The horse had white patches by the end of the summer, but she likes to ride in it because its light weight and she can pick it up, and its comfortable for her.

In MSAR work, we need to rely on our tack to do some heavy work. I know I can tie a rope to my saddle and it will pull without hurting the horse. He can lean into his breastcollar and it's strong enough to do the job. I'm not sure about the synthetics. Perhaps someone else can say what their saddle can carry and what they can do with theirs. I know my D-rings are strong, my saddle's a working saddle that I can count on when I have to move fast. I can also carry equipment and spread the weight around evenly.

Emily